History and Traditions
Our School History
St Martin of Tours Parish Primary school was established in 1958. The Parish school was built to educate Catholic children from the areas of Macleod and Rosanna. Throughout its history St Martin’s has been renowned for high quality education and a strong community spirit.
In 2009 the school underwent great change because of the generous Commonwealth grant as part of the BER scheme. A new LRC (Library Resource Centre), computer lab, student learning areas and utilities were constructed. Appealing playground areas and gardens enhance the schools learning environment.
Our exciting new building is due for completion at the end of 2018. This building will house nine classrooms, a seminar room, various quiet spaces for small group work, large open spaces to promote collaboration between classes and an undercover outdoor multipurpose space.
Traditions - Old and New
The St Martin's PFA holds an annual Shrove Tuesday Picnic where all the community are invited to 'Pete's Paddock' to share pancakes and celebrate our wonderful community.
Every year just before Mother's Day our PFA holds the annual 'Mother's Night'. A time for all the mums in our community to get together and enjoy a night of laughter and dancing. Similarly, the dads in our community get together just before Father's Day for the annual Father's Night.
'Story Night' is held during book week. Families come back to school after dark, in their PJs and dressing gowns, to hear teachers read their favourite stories in the warm and magical setting that the school becomes once the moon comes out!
The St Martin of Tours feast day is the 11th November. We celebrate our feast day with a whole school Mass and various activities throughout the day.
Every two years the whole St Martin's community (school and parish) come together to hold the biennal 'St Martin's Carnival', the school grounds come alive with rides, food, drinks, stalls and fun for the whole family. It is certianly an event not to be missed!